Scouting Minnesota Golden Gophers Report
Coach: PJ Flick, Season 6 (37-23; 67-45 profession)
This season: 2-0
Final week: defeated Western Illinois, 62-10, at residence
5 gamers to observe
• WR Chris Autman-Bell, Sr.: The Gophers’ largest risk, has the very best trolling (eight) and has obtained yards (156) to this point this season.
• Zaheer Ayman Mohamed Ibrahim, Sr: After getting back from an Achilles tendon harm in 2021, Ibrahim has 262 yards and 4 TDs in two video games. He’s sixth in Minnesota dash historical past (3,265 yards), and desires solely 12 yards to interrupt into the highest 5.
• QB Tanner Morgan, Sr.: Participant in 41 video games, bowled for 461 yards and touched down this season. He additionally had three fast touchdowns, which is already a excessive in his profession.
• DL Thomas Rush, Sr.: Chief on the entrance, he is scored 5 tackles and one bag this season. He has solely eight luggage in his profession, however two of them have confronted CU of their 2021 sport at Boulder.
• LB Mariano Sori-Marin, Sr: Among the best midfielders within the Massive Ten, he is scored 10 tackles and tackles for a loss to this point this season. He ran 85 occasions a 12 months in the past and has 196 occasions in his profession.
Though the Gophers have a senior 12 months six and 4 quarterback in Tanner Morgan, their assault relies on the sport of operating and the fatigue of opponents. They have not scored rapidly this 12 months. Of the 16 campaigns to attain, seven had been 11 or extra performs and 13 had been a minimum of six performs. Final 12 months, 70% of the performs had been performed and to this point this 12 months, the bottom sport was used 69.4% of the time. After they throw, Morgan has been very efficient in his profession, incomes a 152.5 passer ranking.
It is onerous to guage the Gophers this season based mostly on opponents (New Mexico State, Western Illinois), however they’ve good gamers and expertise throughout the board. Seven rookie gamers returned from a unit that ranked second within the Massive Ten (and first eight nationally) in scoring and total protection a 12 months in the past. The gopher additionally added 5 transfers. To this point, they’ve been the dominant ones, with defending champion Georgia the one crew within the nation that has allowed fewer factors.
Minnesota particular groups
Gophers are professional at kicking a sport. Matthew Trickett, 2021 graduate switch from Kent State, 17-for-28 in subject objectives and 49-of-51 in further factors with Minnesota (profession: 67 of 85 subject objectives, 143 of 146 pats). He struggled in CU final 12 months, scoring 1-3 on subject objectives and lacking an additional level. Australian Mark Crawford in his third season as a gopher gambler. He averaged 41.7 yards per kick a 12 months in the past and has averaged 38.5 yards per kick this season.
How can Minnesota win?
Play soccer in Minnesota, which suggests controlling the clock with a sport of operating and ending drives ultimately zone. The Gophers have been very efficient on this regard this 12 months they usually have many again runs to get the job completed in opposition to the Buffs. Defensively, the Gophers must restrict giant CU performs and rapidly banish the Buffs’ assault from the sphere.
notable gopher gopher
• Tanner Morgan has essentially the most wins for a quarterback in Minnesota historical past, scoring 29-12 in his forty first begin. He’s second in program historical past in passing yards (8,533) and landing touchdowns (57).
• Six-year-old Chris Outman Bell has obtained a minimum of one go in his final 40 video games. That is the longest streak within the nation, in accordance with Minnesota analysis.
• Minnesota has a scoring margin of plus 90 (100-10) by two video games. That is this system’s greatest margin since 1905, when the crew outperformed its first two rivals 128-0.
• Since Flick arrived in Minnesota previous to the 2017 season, the Gophers have earned 16-1 in out-of-conference play, a 0.941 share. He’s the fourth-best participant within the nation throughout that point, behind Alabama (24-1, .960), Georgia (22-1, .957) and Oklahoma State (19-1, .950).
• Minnesota has 23 gamers in a minimum of their fifth season of faculty soccer. The Gophers have 15 gamers of their fifth season, seven of their sixth 12 months and one of their seventh 12 months.